IMAP is a protocol that keeps all messages and folders on the server. In addition, IMAP idle is an optional feature of the IMAP protocol that pushes all new messages to Outlook as they are received by the mail server.
Unlike POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your SmarterMail mailbox and your email client(s). This means when you log in to the SmarterMail Web interface, actions you performed on email clients and mobile devices will automatically appear in the Web interface (and vice versa).
With POP3, your mail is saved in a mailbox on the remote server until you check your mail. When you check your mail, all of the mail is downloaded to your computer and is no longer maintained on the server.
If you use POP3 and are traveling or check your mail from multiple locations, you will not be able to view any of your old mail because the messages only exist on the computer on which you originally received your mail.
The use of IMAP is strongly recommended for anyone accessing SmarterMail from multiple e-mail accounts.
- In Microsoft Outlook Express, from the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- Go to the Mail tab and from the Add menu, select Mail.
- In the Display Name field, enter you full name and click Next.
- In the E-mail address field, enter your email address and click Next.
- On the E-mail Server Names page, complete your information as follows:
- My incoming mail server is a (POP3 or IMAP)
- Incoming mail server: mail.netlou-secure.com
- Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: mail.netlou-secure.com
- Click Next.
- In the Account Name and Password fields, enter your email address and password, and then click Next.
- On the setup confirmation page, click Finish.
- On the Mail tab, select the account you just created, and then click Properties.
- Go to the Servers tab.
- Select My server requires authentication, and then click Apply.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- In the Server Port Numbers section:
- Outgoing: Default SMTP: 465 with SSL
- Default POP: 995 with SSL
- Default IMAP: 993 with SSL
- In the Delivery section, Suggested for POP accounts, but optional, check all 3 of these boxes.
- Check, Leave a copy of messages on server.
- Check, Remove from server after 10 days.
- Check, Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'.
- Click OK
- Click Close on the Internet Accounts window and return to your Outlook Express.
Your Outlook Express account setup is now complete
NOTE: Windows Live Mail is the latest email client from Microsoft and is meant to replace two older programs - Outlook Express and Windows Mail Vista. The company has announced the discontinuation of the development and support for the two older email clients and recommends all users download and install Windows Live Mail which is packed within Windows Live Essentials seen here: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-other-programs?T1=t2